Global Health Director
Title: Global Health Director
Reports to: Co-CEO & Managing Director
Travel: 20-30% International
Scope is a social impact company founded in 2008. Our vision is a world where everyone, everywhere can experience health, equality, and dignity. Our way of working is human-centered and interdisciplinary. Together with country partners, governments, civil society, and underrepresented populations, we research, co-design, trial and roll out innovative solutions to accelerate change at scale. In addition to client-led work, Scope funds and executes our own social mission projects in which we create new services, products and campaigns for a fairer world.
The Global Health Director will provide public health and international development sector leadership across Scope and our initiatives. The Director will work in close collaboration with the management and project teams to define strategic direction and vision for programs, ensure the highest technical quality across initiatives, develop key partnerships at global and national level as well as and guide Scope’s efforts to achieve results at scale. The Director will manage and coach a growing team of health and development specialists, guide program learning and innovation and serve as a key advocate and spokesperson for creative problem solving in the development and health realm. The Director will mobilize partnerships, particularly within governments, towards implementing systems-level change that empower underserved communities to lead healthier and dignified lives.
The Director will bring deep public health expertise as well as strategic experience in the development sector from both a technical and program implementation point of view. The Director will cultivate an open and collaborative culture and bring in cutting-edge clinical and public health approaches to address complex, global health and development challenges. Reporting to the Co-CEO and Managing Director, the Director will provide thought leadership in the health sector and work closely with Scope’s interdisciplinary team to develop and guide field work and long-term implementation strategies. The Global Health Director is part of the leadership team.
The Global Health Director will also be involved together with the rest of the team in establishing a new field office outside of Finland in early 2020.
Public Health and Development Sector Leadership
- Serve as the internal and external public health and development sector expert
- Build, coach and inspire the health, development and program coordination teams
- Ensure the project research, analysis, problem definition, conceptual thinking, and the quality of technical knowledge created by teams is of the highest level and aligned with program goals and Scope’s vision.
- Participate in strategic phases of design and creative work, including with government, communities and partners in low income countries.
- Establish and manage key client and partner relationships, taking responsibility over the overall quality of technical aspects of services during ongoing project engagements
- Ensure a strong set of company-wide mechanisms for impact capturing, monitoring and evaluation, in collaboration with other team members
- Support the linking of research to project phases, so as to guide and inform innovative intervention and service solution design.
- Assist teams in the synthesis, prioritization, communication, presentation of data and research across Scope’s inter-disciplinary team and partners;
- Design and maintain data collection and analysis systems;
- Guide the planning and coordination of the start-up of the research study protocols, and the establishment of research operating policies and procedures;
- Lead the team, together with partners, in planning and developing strategies for piloting and scaling initiatives
- Develop effective approaches to shaping enabling environments and systemic change in a way that promotes scalable impact
- Establish networks that drive change at scale at an institutional/ policy level
- Promote measurement of impact and set long-term vision for how to continuously drive for enhanced policy reform and strategy development
Leadership and Management
- Support interventions, and promote agile approaches to organization wide development and growth
- Actively facilitate creative problem solving sessions in support of business goals and program objectives
- Support the further refinement of Scope’s unique problem solving model and approach to social innovation
- Define and model Scope culture, ensuring it aligns with Scope’s mission and core values
- Develop and maintain a rewarding and creative working environment for staff working across varied disciplines.
- Work closely with the leadership and team members in monitoring and evaluating ongoing programs and our social impact
- As part of the management team, ensure the sustainability of Scope as a social impact company
- Contribute to Scope’s social mission program implementation and evaluation
- Work closely with the leadership team in establishing Scope as a leading global agency in applying creative problem solving for international development and health
- Represent Scope globally
- Understand Scope project management principles and actively enforce and support it in all initiatives.
In addition, the Employee shall do additional related tasks as from time to time as directed by the Employer.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 10-15 years of work experience, with a focus on public health programs in low income countries
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a team leader and coach
- Master’s Degree or higher in public health, health communication, social sciences, or a closely related field; a medical doctor or nurse-midwife with public health training is strongly preferred.
- Expert level understanding of current development and health trends, principles and methodologies, knowledge of high impact interventions in reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health required.
- Experience in leading complex initiatives, partnering with diverse stakeholders to improve systems/services/products, as well as helping to shape and change sector practices and policies.
- Proven client management skills, including ability to interact with and influence senior level executives and government officials.
- An analytical and critical thinker with an ability to comprehend and navigate complex systems
- Experience working and/or conducting research in one or all of the project sites is preferred
- Commitment to social change and Scope’s development and health mission
- Flexibility, inclusiveness, openness and ability to work well in an inter-disciplinary, fast-paced and creative environment
- Project management experience and understanding of the most common project management tools and principles.
- Ability to create trusting relations with diverse partners
- Cultural understanding and sensitivity
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
- Fluency in English is a must; Swahili, Finnish and all other languages are considered a merit
The post is an open-ended appointment.
To apply, please send your CV, application letter together with salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 2.9.2019