Join the Team: Service Design Lead
Title: Service Design Lead
M4ID was founded as a social impact company in 2008 with the bold ambition of advancing the global development and health field through creative problem solving and cross-disciplinary collaboration. M4ID only undertakes assignments that improve development and health outcomes for vulnerable and underserved communities. We are a highly expert integrated multi-disciplinary team, driven by the will to make a difference. Our unique way of working is a fusion of the interdisciplinary and human-centred approaches. Involving the people we serve ensures relevance. Integrating the expertise of different disciplines maximises creative problem solving. Collaboration with clients, stakeholders and partners is an essential part of this. In addition to client-led work, M4ID funds and executes our own social mission projects in which we create new services and campaigns for a fairer world.
We are seeking an exceptional candidate with a portfolio of successfully implemented service solutions. Your work will demonstrate your ability to creatively navigate through complex problems, an aptitude for facilitating creative workshops and designing for social change in low resource settings, strong analytic skills to embrace the complexity of global health and development and experience in developing design strategies from a systems perspective. The successful candidate will possess a curious and open mindset, will thrive in a multi-disciplinary, fast-paced, creative and culturally diverse environment, be resilient in driving long term change and adaptable to new contexts and diverse stakeholders and community needs.
Service and System Design
- Bring service/system design competence to global social change projects and multidisciplinary teams. Apply a human-centred design approach, with a focus on co-design, concepting, rapid prototyping and testing, to the social innovation work at M4ID.
- Develop plans, methodologies and tools to support the design process and participation of communities in the countries we where we work.
- Collaborate with M4ID’s inter-disciplinary teams in planning and carrying out exploratory and hypothesis-based studies relating to projects
- Collaborate with team members and country partners to plan co-design activities and facilitate/lead design activities at M4ID and in project countries.
- Develop and deliver holistic, connected design concepts for social change projects, prototype, test and refine concepts in context.
- Compile, analyse and use data and research to drive design decisions and solution development.
- Develop service and system strategies and plans for implementation at scale together with our multi-disciplinary teams and partners.
- Contribute to project reviews and best practice development.
- Support the planning and monitoring of project activities, timelines and milestones.
- Support relationship building and participation of our donors and partners in our work.
- Build capacity and mentor in-country design partners and M4ID’s partners, enabling them to advance their understanding and application of design.
- Work with the creative and communication team to produce design deliverables that clearly communicate the work and the methodologies we employ relating to that work.
- Work with internal colleagues across the organization to create communication material and thought leadership for publicly sharing M4ID’s ongoing work and opinions of human-centred design applications for international development and health.
- Contribute and help shape M4ID’s continuing evolution, approach and methodology.
- Assist on workplan and budget management for key projects
- Work with team to engage with the wider design community in virtual meetups, talks and other networking activities
- Input into business development opportunities by guiding the team in how to respond to requests, advising on design approaches and recommending activities to be conducted.
In addition, the Employee shall do additional related tasks as from time to time directed by the Employer.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Commitment to social change and M4ID’s development and health mission
- 8+ years of experience in design
- Graduate of design, social studies or human-computer interaction
- Excellent service/system design skills
- Experience of leading design work within a diverse team
- Systems thinking and design experience in complex environments
- Agility, creative problem-solving skills
- Design research expertise and analytic approach to design challenges
- Independent and proactive working style
- Excellent collaboration skills and multinational/disciplinary project teams
- Cultural understanding and sensitivity
- Willingness and the ability to travel internationally (30-40%)
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- Development and public health sector knowledge is an advantage
This is a full time, 2-year fixed term position based in Helsinki, Finland.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a cover letter including salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org using the email heading ‘SERVICE DESIGN LEAD’ by 2 May 2018.