Join the Team: Development Specialist Intern
Title: Development Specialist Intern
Reports to: Programme Coordinator
Travel: None required, possibility of 1-2 field visits
M4ID was founded as a social impact company in 2008 with the bold ambition of advancing the global development and health field through creative problem solving and cross-disciplinary collaboration. M4ID only undertakes assignments that improve development and health outcomes for vulnerable and underserved communities. We are a highly expert integrated multi-disciplinary team, driven by the will to make a difference. Our unique way of working is a fusion of the interdisciplinary and human-centered approaches. Involving the people we serve ensures relevance. Integrating the expertise of different disciplines maximises creative problem solving. Collaboration with clients, stakeholders and partners is an essential part of this. In addition to client-led work, M4ID funds and executes our own social mission projects in which we create new services and campaigns for a fairer world.
The Development Specialist Intern will provide research, analysis, communications, administrative and programmatic support across multiple M4ID projects under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator. This internship is a unique opportunity to work alongside an interdisciplinary and multicultural team on essential global health and development issues. This role will involve working with M4ID project teams to compile relevant research materials, analyse and synthesise field findings, draft internal and external communications, document project progress, lend support to the company’s new business activities and help organize design workshops, team meetings or events. The right candidate is provided with the opportunity to work across multiple disciplines and focus areas, including research, design research, new business activities, communication and programmatic support. It is expected that this versatile role will work primarily on M4ID’s Lab.our Ward project amongst others.
- Compile relevant data and information through literature reviews
- Manage information for the teams with a focus on women’s health and well-being in Nigeria, India, Kenya, and Tanzania.
- Keep abreast of emerging development and health issues and approaches as well as conveying this information to M4ID’s team in a synthesized manner
- Support teams in design research activities
- Work with project teams to draft project materials and reports
- Compile brief updates that can be used to communicate with donors, stakeholders and partners
- Develop a series of briefs, fact-sheets, and communication material on international development issues of interest to the teams, including the sustainable development goals, maternal and newborn health, family planning, and HIV in project settings.
- Contribute to M4ID’s own social media and communication activities
- Assist in the organization and management of M4ID project-level information for internal use.
- Assist project teams to draft partner contracts and scopes of work
- Assist in the development of materials and presentations for workshops
- Support in trip preparations for project teams
- Assist in the set-up and maintenance of project design rooms
In addition, the Employee shall do other related tasks as from time to time directed by the Employer.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Professional or research experience in the health and/or development sector preferred
- Master’s degree or close to finishing studies in social sciences, communications, international development, or other relevant field preferred
- Commitment to social change and M4ID’s development and health mission
- Flexibility, openness and ability to work well in an inter-disciplinary, fast-paced, and creative environment
- Development and public health sector knowledge
- Cultural understanding and sensitivity
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
The position is a paid (1500 EUR/month) 6-month internship based in Helsinki.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter, using the title ‘Internship’, to email@example.com by 13 December 2018. Please specify in the cover letter which areas of the role you are most interested in and where you see your strengths.